Prototyping is a critical stage in game development as it affects the rest of the development process. Knowing what to accomplish in this phase, how to prepare and transition into the rest of the game’s development can increase your capacity to create better games.
1. Momentum is key
2. Do not paper design.
3. Don’t use real game assets.
4. Don’t use programmer art either because it gets in the way of a lot of people’s enjoyment of the game.
5. A great game is fun even when played with squares.
6. Break down disciplinary walls.
7. Practice non-attachment.
8. Spend as much time understanding why something is working as you do trying to understand something that isn’t.
9. Start with a toolset that you are comfortable with.
10. The only optimization you should be thinking about is how could you iterate on the gameplay faster.
11. Get the game in the hands of others as soon as is practical.